You can substitute any concentrated fruit puree for the orange/lemon, etc
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 rind of medium lemon, finely grated
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 cups sugar (superfine)
- 4 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons gelatin (or agar agar or guar gum)
- 8 ounces water
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rose flower water (or one teaspoon rose extract or food grade)
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1For orange flavored candy, substitute for the lemon and rose flavors -.
- 2Rind of 1 medium orange.
- 31/4 cup (2 fl oz) orange juice concentrate.
- 43-4 drops of orange flower water.
- 5Other flavors may be used, concentrated syrups, blackcurrant, orgeat, strawberry, cherry and raspberry. Use about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of syrup or strained fruit puree.
- 6Line base and sides of an 8 inch square cake pan with aluminum foil, leaving the edges of the foil extending out over the edges of the pan.
- 7Brush or spray foil with canola oil or melted butter.
- 8Remove white pith from citrus rinds.
- 9Combine the rind, juice, sugar and water in large pan with a heavy bottom.
- 10Stir over medium heat without boiling until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- 11Brush the sugar crystals that form on the sides of pan with a wet pastry brush.
- 12Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and continue boiling without stirring for 5 minutes or until a teaspoon of the mixture dropped into cold water forms long threads.
- 13If you are using a sugar thermometer it must reach 221°F
- 14Combine gelatin with 1/2 cup (4 fl oz) extra water in a small bowl set over barely simmering water.
- 15Stir until dissolved.
- 16In a separate bowl combine cornstarch with the remaining water and mix until smooth.
- 17Add both the gelatin and cornstarch mixtures to the sugar syrup.
- 18Stir the mixture over medium heat until the mixture boils and clears.
- 19Stir in the flower water or rose water and a few drops red food coloring.
- 20Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the foil-lined cake pan.
- 21Refrigerate over night.
- 22When firmly set, turn out onto a cutting board sprinkled with confectioners sugar.
- 23Peel off the foil and cut the confection into cubes.
- 24Roll cubes in confectioner's sugar.
- 25Store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lakhoum, Also Known As Turkish Delight
Serving Size: 1 (1276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.6
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 0.2 g