Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can substitute any concentrated fruit puree for the orange/lemon, etc
- 1 rind of medium lemon, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 cups sugar (superfine)
- 4 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons gelatin (or agar agar or guar gum)
- 8 ounces water
- 2⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rose flower water (or one teaspoon rose extract or food grade)
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners sugar
- For orange flavored candy, substitute for the lemon and rose flavors -.
- Rind of 1 medium orange.
- 1/4 cup (2 fl oz) orange juice concentrate.
- 3-4 drops of orange flower water.
- Other flavors may be used, concentrated syrups, blackcurrant, orgeat, strawberry, cherry and raspberry. Use about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of syrup or strained fruit puree.
- Line base and sides of an 8 inch square cake pan with aluminum foil, leaving the edges of the foil extending out over the edges of the pan.
- Brush or spray foil with canola oil or melted butter.
- Remove white pith from citrus rinds.
- Combine the rind, juice, sugar and water in large pan with a heavy bottom.
- Stir over medium heat without boiling until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Brush the sugar crystals that form on the sides of pan with a wet pastry brush.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly and continue boiling without stirring for 5 minutes or until a teaspoon of the mixture dropped into cold water forms long threads.
- If you are using a sugar thermometer it must reach 221°F
- Combine gelatin with 1/2 cup (4 fl oz) extra water in a small bowl set over barely simmering water.
- Stir until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl combine cornstarch with the remaining water and mix until smooth.
- Add both the gelatin and cornstarch mixtures to the sugar syrup.
- Stir the mixture over medium heat until the mixture boils and clears.
- Stir in the flower water or rose water and a few drops red food coloring.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the foil-lined cake pan.
- Refrigerate over night.
- When firmly set, turn out onto a cutting board sprinkled with confectioners sugar.
- Peel off the foil and cut the confection into cubes.
- Roll cubes in confectioner's sugar.
- Store in an airtight container.