Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from Michael Loo's recipe. (Found for a request in the Asian forum.) I haven't tried it yet but it looks awfully tasty - I'll post changes after trying it, if necessary. Edited to add - I don't know about the egg white. I suspect it goes in the sherry-soy sauce mixture, but I still haven't tried this out; sorry about that, do let me know how it goes.
- 1 lb large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (plus more as necessary)
- 1⁄4 cup water (plus more as necessary)
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup snow peas or 1⁄2 cup regular peas
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 slices fresh ginger, 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup minced scallion
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- sesame oil (to taste)
- Peel and devein the shrimp, reserving the shells for later use.
- Mix sherry, soy sauce, cornstarch, egg white (?) and 1/4 cup water.
- Marinate shrimp in above mixture for about 1/2 hour.
- Meahwhile, put shrimp shells in a small saucepan, add water to just cover, simmer uncovered for about 1/2 hour allowing the water to reduce.
- Heat 1 tsp of the peanut oil in a wok or large frying pan, stir-fry the vegetables until just crisp, and remove from pan.
- Add remaining peanut oil, garlic and ginger to pan and cook just until fragrant.
- Add shrimp mixture and stir-fry for a few seconds, then add white wine and shrimp shell broth and cook for a couple of minutes until liquid reduces.
- Return the vegetables to the pan. Thicken the sauce if necessary, using a mixture of another tsp of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp of water - you may not need to add all of this cornstarch/water mixture, add some, cook gently, and adjust according to taste.
- When sauce is glossy and of desired thickness, turn out onto a warm plate and garnish with scallions and sesame oil.
- Serve over rice.
Was just curious if you left out the step with the Egg White or if it was a typo?????? I plan to make this recipe tonight, omitting the egg white. Everything else looks right!!!