Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Stratas are a great way to feed a hungry crowd. Plus, you can make them in advance and refrigerate them overnight, which is an option with this strata as well. I fixed this one on our recent fishing/houseboat trip on Lake Shasta, hence the name! It disappeared in a hurry!
- 2 loaves French bread, crusts removed,cut into 3/4 inch slices (1 pound loaves)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 10 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped chives
- 1 1⁄2 lbs brie cheese, chilled rind removed if needed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3⁄4 cup grated swiss cheese
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Butter generously, two 9 inch cake pans with 2 inch sides.
- In a large bowl, place the bread and pour over the 4 cups of milk.
- Let stand until bread soaks up the milk, about 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the bread over the bowl in order to extract as much of the milk as possible, transfering the bread to a medium bowl in the process.
- Measure the milk and add more milk to measure 1+1/3 cups.
- Return milk to the large bowl and whisk in eggs, salt and pepper.
- Blend well.
- Place 1/4 of the bread in each pan.
- Scatter 1/2 cup chives over each.
- Then scatter 1/4 of the Brie, 2 tablespoons parsley, 2 tablespoons tarragon, and 3 tablespoons Swiss cheese over chives.
- Top each pan with half of the remaining bread and half of the milk egg mixture.
- Distribute remaining ingredients between the pans and dot with butter.
- Preheat oven to 350^.
- Bake uncovered until deep golden brown, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Let cool 5 or 10 minutes.