Recipe by Dib's
I got this recipe out of The Calgary Herald years ago-it's pretty darn good! For the hot sauce I use Dave's Insanity, you might prefer Tabasco!
- 2 lbs crabmeat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup creole mustard or 1⁄4 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs, dried
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine crab meat, onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, mayo, mustard and parsley.
- Mix all ingredients until well incorporated.
- Add thyme, basil, pepper, salt, Worcestershire, hot sauce and egg, stirring well.
- Add 1 cup of the bread crumbs, mixing well.
- Form crab cakes in your hands, about 1/2 inch thick, 3 inches around.
- In a large cast iron skillet heat oil over medium high heat.
- Coat the outside of each crab cake lightly with remaining bread crumbs and pan fry on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot with remoulade, tartar or cocktail sauce.