Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
Lajamanu is an Aboriginal community in the Tanami Desert in the Northern Territory, Australia. The nearest large town is Alice Springs. This is a recipe in which Aboriginal and Italian cooking styles meet. Good recipe to adapt for the crockpot. I'm guessing the number of servings but given that Aboriginal families tend to be large and assuming largish 'roos, it will be on the large side.
- 2 large kangaroo tail
- 4 liters brown stock or 4 liters water
- 4 large onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 50 g tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons mixed herbs
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup bush beans, from tanami desert (if available)
- warrigal greens (Wild Spinach)
- Fry the onion in oil.
- Add the garlic and fry.
- Add kangaroo tail and sauté until brown.
- Add stock or water.
- Add tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Simmer until cooked, approximately 3 hours.
- Serve with freshly cooked pasta and garnish with Warrigal greens.