1/1 Photo of Lahma Bajeen - Meat Pies
2 hrs 20 mins
Meat Pies These freeze well pre baked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Jamilahs Basic Dough
- 1 egg
- 1 (7 g) packet dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup war water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb fresh coarsely ground lamb, and or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, sauteed in butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- extra olive oil
- 2Dissolve the sugar in the ¼ cup water. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let ferment and bubble.
- 3In a large bowl combine the yeast, flour, salt, olive oil, egg, and warm milk. Knead until a soft dough is formed. Dough will be slightly sticky, so always make sure your hands have a little olive oil on them.
- 4Lightly grease the same bowl with olive oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm dry place for at least 2 hours, until doubled.
- 5Meat Filling :.
- 6Heat the olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground lamb or beef and stir and cook until the meat is crumbly and it is no longer pink.
- 7Stir in the chopped onion and cook, stirring until the onion is soft , about 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in the pine nuts and all of the spices and seasonings. Stir and cook for one minute. Add the chopped tomatoes.
- 9Cover the skillet , reduce the heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes until the tomato is soft.
- 10Remove from heat. Stir in the fresh lemon juice.
- 11The mixture should not be watery but it should be moist. Set aside to cool.
- 13Take fist-fulls of the dough and on a floured surface roll out into small balls. Let rest for 5 minutes. Flatten each dough ball into 4” disc, about ½” thick.
- 14Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and top with meat. Repeat with remaining dough and meat.
- 15Bake until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. Serve warm.
- 16Best way to eat: Serve hot out of the oven or warm with fresh lemon or plain yogurt.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lahma Bajeen - Meat Pies
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.1
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 61.7 mg
- Sodium 343.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 16.2 g