Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posted per request on Community Cafe
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (plus additional for sprinkling)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a clean bowl and beaters, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- With mixer running, slowly add sugar and beat until whites hold stiff peaks.
- Set aside.
- Combine next 3 ingredients (egg yolks, vanilla, salt) in another bowl and beat with electric mixer until pale yellow and thickened.
- Fold beaten egg whites into yolks until just combined.
- Fold in flour.
- Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch tip.
- I think I've also seen a cookie press used to form these.
- Pipe mixture into finger shapes 4-5 inches in length, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until very lightly golden in color.
- Alternative for pastry bag:
- Fill a large sealable plastic storage bag with mixture, squeezing bag to remove all air before sealing.
- Using scissors, cut off bottom corner to make a 1/2 inch hole.).