1 hr 15 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
I've been making lasagna for years and have been asked many times for the recipe. Unfortunately there isn't one, I'm one of those cooks who uses the basic recipe and then embellishes. But just for my friend Vicki down in Mexico, I'm attempting to put it in writing. Because many of these ingredients are not readily available in Mexico, I've added some suggested substitutions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (ground beef or pork sausage can be used if italian sausage is not available)
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 diced green pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (or 4 cups of In Search of the Ultimate Spaghetti/Pizza/Pasta Sauce)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil (1 teaspoon if using dry)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon mccormick spicy steak seasoning (omit if using spiced Italian sausage or you do not want it 'kicked up a notch')
- 12 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles, or
- 1 lb homemade fresh lasagna noodles (Perfect Egg Pasta)
- 1 egg
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese (in a pinch cottage cheese, with the excess milk drained off can be used, or make your own Recipe #34)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (In Mexico, asadero or chihuahua can be used)
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese (Cotija, also called queso anejado can be used)
- 1Meat Sauce:.
- 2Sprinkle Italian sausage with steak seasoning (if desired).
- 3Brown sausage, onions, garlic and green peppers in olive oil.
- 4Do not over cook, just until meat is no longer pink.
- 5Drain any excess grease.
- 6Add spaghetti sauce, basil, oregano, salt, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thick.
- 7Cheese Filling:.
- 8In medium mixing bowl add ricotta cheese, egg and 3/4 cup parmesan cheese (save other 3/4 for layering).
- 9Mix by hand until smooth (mixture should be a little fluffy).
- 10Spray large baking dish with non-stick cooking oil.
- 11Spread 1/2 cup of sauce on bottom.
- 12Place noodles in single layer on top, breaking and piecing together to make fit in pan.
- 13Spread 1/3 of sauce evenly over noodles.
- 14Evenly spoon on 1/3 of parmesan mixture.
- 15Sprinkle with 1/3 mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of remaining parmesan.
- 16Place second layer of noodles and repeat sauce, parmesan mixture and cheese.
- 17Repeat again for final layer.
- 18Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 19Remove lid and bake additional 15 minutes.
- 20Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lady Di's Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.6
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 146.7 mg
- Sodium 1421.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 41.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-boil lasagna noodles
fresh lasagna noodles