Recipe by NannyMarvel
This is the 2006 winner of the Terlingua International Chili Championship. After trying this, I will NEVER use canned, frozen or a chili mix again. I have changed it slightly due to availability of ingredients. If you like chili, you will love this recipe.
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef, very lean
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder, rounded
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 6 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, whole
- 1 serrano pepper, whole
Directions See How It's Made
- Make 3 seasoning packets, as follows:.
- Packet #1: mix together 1 tablespoon onion powder, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of chili powder.
- Packet #2: mix together 5 tablespoons of chili power, 2 teaspoons of cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, beef bullion and chicken bullion, brown sugar and adobo sauce.
- Packet #3: mix together 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 tsp cumin and salt.
- In a 4-quart pot, brown the ground beef. After browning, drain the meat. Add back to pot along with 1 can of beef broth and the tomato sauce. Place 1 jalapeno pepper and 1 serrano pepper in the pot. Bring mixture to a boil and add packet #1.
- Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 1 hour. Remove peppers, squeeze juice into separate container and set aside. Replace lid and continue simmering meat mixture for another 15 minutes. Add packet #2.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the juice from the peppers and packet #3.
- Cover and simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with chopped onions and grated cheese.