Inspired by Lady Bird Johnson's cake. In 'Cake Simple' by Christie Matheson
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature (plus melted butter for greasing the pan)
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (plus more for dusting the pan)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 325°; brush the inside of a 10-cup Bundt pan thoroughly with melted butter and dust it lightly with flour (use a pastry brush to help distribute the flour and tap out any excess).
- 2Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl until well combined.
- 3In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat the butter with the sugar on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- 4In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they are light and lemon-colored, then add them to the butter-sugar mixture and beat until just blended.
- 5With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in three increments) alternating with the milk (in two increments), beginning and ending with flour and beating until thoroughly incorporated after each addition.
- 6Add the vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice; beat 2 minutes.
- 7Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth the top; bake for 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 8Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack, then invert the cake onto the rack and let it cool completely.
- 9Make the icing-combine the powdered sugar with the butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cream in a small bowl; stir vigorously until the mixture is smooth, thick, and pourable.
- 10Add more cream in needed to obtain the desired consistency.
- 11Pour the icing over the cooled cake and serve.
- 12The cake will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- 13The uniced cake will keep, wrapped well in a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil, in the freezer, for up to 2 weeks.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lady Bird Lemon Bundt Cake
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.1
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 153.9 mg
- Sodium 302.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 41.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g