Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Spoon bread was a favorite dish with Lyndon Johnson's mother, which she passed on to his wife, Lady Bird. With a salad (fruit or green), and meat, it makes a perfect lunch.
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- to taste butter (the size of a walnut)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Stir cornmeal into 2 cups of milk and let mixture come to a boil, making a mush.
- Remove from heat and add balance of milk and well-beaten eggs.
- Stir in salt, baking powder and melted butter .
- Bake in 2 quart greased casserole for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
I made this today for our Sunday breakfast. We drizzled maple syrup over the warm bread and it was heaven! Wonderful recipe that I will make over and over again! Thanks for posting. Made for Bargain Basement Tag game 5/2010.