Recipe by xtine
This recipe is from the LBJ library archives. A rich squash casserole with shrimp and Parmesan cheese. The original recipe calls for margarine, but I use butter. If you want to make the "original" recipe, feel free to sub in margarine for the butter.
- 3 cups sliced yellow squash
- 3⁄4 cup raw peeled shrimp
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- The squash should be cut into 1/4" thick slices.
- Thoroughly rinse shrimp under cold water and drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Blend in flour, salt and pepper and cook until it bubbles.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the chicken broth gradually, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Blend in the cream and the minced onions, then mix in raw shrimp. Cover and set aside.
- Layer half the squash in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spoon half the shrimp sauce over the squash. Repeat with remaining squash and shrimp sauce.
- Cover tightly and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese with the tablespoon of melted butter.
- After the squash has cooked for 30 minutes, top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and return the casserole to the oven for 15 minutes or until the crumb topping is golden brown.