Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947
- 3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 3 figs, finely cut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped candied cherry
- 1⁄2 cup candied pineapple chunk
- Boil sugar and water until it spins a thread (236F) and pour, ver slowly into stiffly-beaten egg whites, beating constantly until cool and of spreading consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients, blend.
- Spread between the layers and on top and sides of cake.