1 hr 25 mins
This is the "Lady Baltimore Cake" recipe from the "New Basics Cookbook". It is one of my mother's (and MIL!) favorite cakes. It is a little bit different than the other Lady Baltimore Cake recipes on *Zaar and so I thought I would share! Also, when I really feel like impressing someone, I garnish with Candied Orange Zest (Can Be Used for Garnish/Decoration for Lady I posted!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter and flour two 9 inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of each with a circle of wax paper.
- 3Prepare the cake:.
- 4Toss the flour and baking powder together in a bowl.
- 5In a mixing bowl, cream the eggs and sugar together just until blended. Beat in the oil and orange juice, then slowly beat in the flour mixture just until smooth.
- 6Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean--about 30 minutes.
- 7Cool in the pans on wire racks for 30 minutes then remove the cake from the pans and let cool to room temperature on wire racks.
- 8Prepare the frosting:.
- 9Whisk the egg whites, sugar, baking powder, orange juice, lemon juice, and orange zest together in the top of a double boiler. Cook over boiling water, beating constantly (and carefully!) with a hand-held electric mixer for 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. The frosting should be satiny and fluffy.
- 10Gently fold the pecans and raisins into the frosting and let the frosting sit for a few minutes.
- 11Fill the cake with frosting and spread over sides and top.
- 12(Decorate with Candied Orange Zest (see Candied Orange Zest (Can Be Used for Garnish/Decoration for Lady) if you want!).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lady Baltimore Cake (With Frosting)
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 726.5
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 164.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 63.2 g
- Protein 9.2 g