Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe from the mystery "Sweet Revenge" by Andrea Penrose. The book is a mouthwatering combination of suspense and chocolate.
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, reserved
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter, 6 oz of the semi-sweet chocolate and the unsweetened chocolate in a pan set over simmering water. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, stir together (don’t beat) eggs, coffee powder, vanilla and sugar. Add melted chocolate mixture and stir gently until well mixed. Cool to room temperature.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder. Add to the chocolate mixture. Toss walnuts and remaining 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips together, and stir into batter.
- Grease and flour a baking pan (9x9” for brownies that are thick, 9x12” for regular sized ones). Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake 20 minutes in top oven shelf. Switch to middle shelf and bake another 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.