Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe from the mystery "Recipe For Treason" by Andrea Penrose. This book is a mouthwatering combination of suspense and chocolate.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1⁄4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Grease a large cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter to the mix and, using either a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter until you see course crumbs occurring.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs and milk together with a whisk or fork until thoroughly combined then slowly add to the dry ingredients, lightly stirring as you do so. Add 1/2 cup of the mini chocolate chips and the orange peel to the batter and stir until just combined. Don't overstir it too much.
- Using lightly floured hands, shape the dough into an 8 inch round and place on the greased cookie sheet. Dust lightly with flour. Using a sharp knife, score the round into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Transfer to cutting board. In one microwaveable container, melt the remaining mini chocolate chips and in another, melt the white chocolate chips, stirring after every 20 seconds of cooking time.
- Using spoons, drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the scones. Wait 15 minutes for the chocolate to set and then, using a sharp knife, cut the scones into wedges along the score lines made earlier.