Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe from the mystery "Recipe For Treason" by Andrea Penrose. This book is a mouthwatering combination of suspense and chocolate.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark brown sugar, finely packed
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt to blend.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until blended (about 2 minutes). Add the almond extract and the espresso powder and continue beating for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the flour mixture in 3 stages, mixing until each stage has been absorbed. Add in the chocolate chips and sliced almonds (dough will be fairly thick).
- Turn the dough out onto an ungreased rimmed baking sheet. Press the dough into a 12 inch square. Using a fork, pierce the dough at 1 inch intervals.
- Bake until the edges are lightly browned and beginning to crisp, about 45-50 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute then cut into 48 squares. Immediately transfer the bars to a wire rack to finish cooling. They will crisp as they cool.