Recipe by Manami
Another wonderful recipe courtesy Paula Deen Television Food Network, 2003. This is very good and oh so cheesy. Edited 06/01/07 I have made it again and the one thing I have to add is to caramelize the onions before you use them and if you choose, use a heart-healthy baking mix.
Top Review by MTpockets
This was so easy to throw together. It was beautiful coming out of the oven and tasted great. I made it in a 9 inch round pan because it's all I have and it was fine. And I used the heart healthy bisquick mix. A big hit with the whole family. Thank's for sharing!!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
- butter, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the milk and egg to biscuit mix, stirring just until the mix is moistened.
- Fold in the onions and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Spoon the dough into a buttered 8-inch round cake pan.
- Mix the onion salt or powder - into the melted butter and drizzle the mixture over the dough.
- Sprinkle the bread with chives or parsley and bake for 15 minutes.
- Top the bread with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake until the bread is cooked through and the cheese top golden, about 5 minutes longer.
- Cut the bread into wedges and serve warm with butter.