1/2 Photos of Lady and Sons Chicken Pot Pie (Paula Deen)
This recipe originated with Paula Deen of Food Network fame. You could easily add more chicken and vegetables and serve 6 with the same amount of sauce and pastry as well as substitute a lower-calorie milk for all of the cream. Enjoy those calories, we did! I'm going for a long walk now!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -4 sheets frozen puff pastry (her original recipe called for 4, I felt 2 was plenty)
- 1 egg, beaten
Pot Pie Filling
- 4 chicken breast halves (or 2 cups leftover cooked chicken)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (or less ( see chef's note in directions)
- 1 quart milk (Paula's recipe called for cream)
- 1/4 cup chicken base (or less ( see chef's note in directions)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup frozen green pea, cooked
- 1 cup chopped cooked carrot
- 1 pinch fresh grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1For Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F Cover large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cut each sheet of frozen puff pastry into 1-inch strips long enough to cover each pie. On cookie sheet, weave strips into squares. (I made one large square to cover 8x8 casserole with pieces close together. As a result, it didn't cook all the way through in the center.) Brush beaten egg onto each lattice square.
- 2Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until pastry has risen and is a nice golden brown. (It should be cooked through at this stage). Set aside until ready to assemble pies.
- 3For Filling: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until cooked through. Remove from heat and cut into chunks.
- 4In a large saucepan melt butter and then slowly add flour, stirring until consistency of peanut butter, but do not brown like a roux. NOTE: You may not need all of the flour--stop with it is the right consistency--it may only take 1/4 cup. Slowly add cream and keep stirring.
- 5Add chicken base (NOTE: here again you may not want to use all 1/4 cup--it may be too salty so use caution), garlic, and onion and stir until thickened.
- 6Add cooked peas and carrots, nutmeg, if using, and cut up chicken. Remove from heat.
- 7To serve fill 4 individual oven-proof bowls with chicken mixture and then top each with a pre-cooked lattice square.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lady and Sons Chicken Pot Pie (Paula Deen)
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1293.4
- Calories from Fat 775
- Total Fat 86.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.3 g
- Cholesterol 174.0 mg
- Sodium 749.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 38.3 g