Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Paula Deen says this is the most requested sandwich at their restaurant in Savannah, Georgia! Look and see why! Note: The calories are so high because the total amount of dressing is firgured in. When you eat this you only use a small amount of dressing!
- 8 -10 fresh asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- salt and pepper (or lemon pepper)
- 2 slices pumpernickel bread
- 2 slices monterey jack cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon thousand island dressing (recipe follows)
- 3 slices red onions, cut into rings
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 hard-boiled egg, crushed finely
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup dill relish
- salt and pepper
- lemon pepper
- First,blanch the asparagus spears in boiling, salted water for 1 minute. Remove immediately to a bowl of ice water.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus and saute lightly. Season with the salt and pepper, or lemon pepper. Remove asparagus from pan and set aside. Butter 2 pieces of the pumpernickle bread with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Place the bread in the same skillet, buttered side down, and grill on 1 side. Flip bread and place 1 piece of cheese on each slice of bread. Grill until cheese is melted and then remove from pan. Spread desired amount of dressing on top of each slice of bread. Arrange asparagus on top of cheese, rotating the spears. Place onion rings on top of asparagus. Cut sandwich in half. Garnish with pickle slices or parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon pepper, to taste. Store it in an air-tight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Yield: 2 3/4 cups.
Made as written and preparing three sandwiches (3 asparagus spears each sandwich) and reducing the amount of dressing yield by one third. Delicious! Subbed aged white cheddar for the Monterey Jack. Thanks, Sharon! Made for Veg Tag/April. Will make again soon!
Comment only: regarding teh calories. I think the calculator is giving calories for the whole dressing recipe and of course you wouldn't use it all on one sandwich! I think I'll be making this for lunch today!
I will not be making it till later this week, but wanted to comment about the calories. It seems the calorie amount has included the full recipe of the dressing.