Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simple, spicy and easy method of making stuffed Okras. A typically North Indian side dish.
- 500 g ladyfingers, -washed and wiped completely dry (okra)
For the stuffing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mango powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, depending on taste
- 1 teaspoon ajwain (Bishop's weed)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1⁄4 cup clarified butter
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaf (to garnish)
- Cut off the top and end of the ladies' fingers and slit lengthwise on one side. Stuff the masala through the slit.
- Heat the clarified butter and add the ladies' fingers to it. Stir-fry over high heat, till they look glossy. Lower the heat to medium, add 1 tsp lemon juice and mix well.
- Leave uncovered and continue to sauté over medium heat. Add the lemon juice in two more stages, till the vegetable is cooked through. The ladies' fingers should retain some of their green colour and their shape.
- Serve hot, garnished with mint leaves.
Thankyou for posting this recipe. My mom used to make stuffed okra and the ingredients and similar to yours. I am sure I am going to fall in love with your recipe once I taste it.