Recipe by Cherie B.
Japanese style tempura batter for frying vegetables, etc.
Top Review by Pot Scrubber
The batter is very light and crispy but I had a difficult time making it stick to sliced Zucchini. So... I made an egg wash... dipped the zucchini slices in that... and then dredged the zucchini slices in flour and THEN dipped them in the batter. Delicious result! The batter was the same but the technique needed tweaking. Just add a beaten egg to the formula and you have a winner tempura!
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄4 cups ice cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine cake flour, cornstarch and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, mix white white and 1 cup ice cold water.
- Pour into dry ingredients, leaving batter lumpy and undermixed.
- If batter becomes too smooth, sprinkle in some extra cake flour.
- Add extra ice cold water depending on how thick or thin youe desire.