- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and grate them coarsely, preferably into tiny slivers, into a large mixing bowl. Do not drain off the potato water that will accumulate in the bowl.
- Working quickly to prevent the potatoes from turning brown, mix into them the chopped chives, salt and some pepper.
- Heat the butter and oil in a 10 – 12 inch skillet over a high heat until the foam subsides.
- The pan must be very hot, but not smoking.
- Using 2 tablespoons of potato mixture for each pancake, fry 2 or 4 at a time, flattening them out with a spatula to about 3 inches in diameter.
- Fry each batch of pancakes over a medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until they are crisp and golden.
- Serve at once.