Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh pears, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped blanched almond
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, shortening, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg in large bowl with electric mixer.
- Beat 3 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in pears and almonds. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.
- Place lacy paper doily on each cake layer. Dust with powdered sugar; carefully remove doily.
- Serve cake with whipped cream, if desired.