Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
My recipe for a potato latke.
Make and share this Lacy Crisp German-Style Hash Browns recipe from Food.com.
- PEEL 3 medium russet potatoes.
- GRATE potatoes using a medium grate on a hand-held grater, or use a food processor with a grate attachment.
- SQUEEZE out excess water (but not too much); TOSS potatoes with 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- ADD grated potatoes, 1 tablespoon grated white onion, 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley, 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (Kosher salt), 1 dash ground white pepper, 1 pinch freshly nutmeg; COMBINE potatoes with ingredients until well-combined.
- HEAT enough butter in a on-stick skillet to fry potatoes, over moderate heat.
- ADD desired amount of potato mixture into skillet with melted butter, forming into a patty shape without pressing too hard, using a spatula.
- FRY potatoes slowly until golden and crisped on one side; TURN hash browns carefully with spatula: CONTINUE to fry until golden and crisped.
- PLACE cooked hash browns on a plate with absorbent paper, covering to keep warm until served.
- SERVE hash browns as they are, or add a sprinkle of salt or other seasoning if desired, or with ketchup and/or sour cream (my German friend serves hers with sour cream -- but the closest I had for my photo was creamed horseradish!).
- ENJOY hash browns as a breakfast or dinner side dish.