Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Lacto-fermentation is a traditional preservation technique that introduces beneficial probiotic bacteria. Lacto-fermented foods are technically raw which means their enzymes and other nutrients are kept intact. Eating a small portion of lacto-fermented food at each meal greatly enhances digestion and helps eliminate heart burn. This recipe is from Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon
- 1 small pineapple, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 29.58 ml fresh lime juice
- 9.85 ml sea salt
- 59.14 ml homemade whey
- 118.29 ml filtered water
- In a large bowl, mix pineapple, cilantro, ginger and jalapeno.
- Place mixture in a quart sized mason jar and press down slightly with a wooden pounder or meat hammer.
- Mix together lime juice, salt, whey and water and pour over pineapple.
- Add more water if necessary to cover pineapple mixture.
- The water line should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar.
- Cover tightly and let sit at room temperature for 2 days before transferring to the refrigerator.
- Consume within 2 months.