Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
From "Chinese New Year", Good Food Magazine February 1988
Make and share this Lacquered Duck in Mandarin Pancakes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 1 (5 lb) duck, ready to cook
- 10 garlic cloves, smashed with flat of knife, peeled
- 10 slices fresh ginger, smashed (about 1/4-inch each)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chinese rice wine (or sake)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup cranberry-raspberry juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup julienned scallion
- To make pancakes: place flour in mixing bowl. Gradually stir in boiling water to form rough dough. Let cool 10 minutes. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover with dampened towel and let stand 30 minutes.
- Cut dough in half and shape each half into 1-1/2-inch-thick log. Cut each log into 12 equal pieces. Cover with dampened towel.
- Place 1 piece dough, cut side down, on lightly floured surface. Using your fingers, press into 2-inch circle. Repeat with another piece of dough. Lightly brush top of 1 circle with oil. Place other circle on top and lightly pinch edges together. Repeat with remaining dough. Working from center of each double pancake to edge, roll out into 6-inch circle.
- Heat well-seasoned or very lightly oil nonstick skillet over high heat until very hot. Place 1 pancake in skillet and cook, shaking skillet, until puffed in center, about 1 minute. Flip pancake, then cook and shake about 30 seconds longer. Pancake should be dry on surface but still supple. Let cool several seconds and peel apart. Fold each pancake, cooked side in, into quarters and place in steaming rack lined with cheesecloth or parchment paper. Cover rack with dampened towel. Repeat with remaining pancakes.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove excess fat from duck. Rinse inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Rub garlic and ginger over outside and inside of duck, then place in cavity. Rub 2 T. soy sauce over outside of duck to color it. Place duck, breast up, on rack in roasting pan and pour 1 cup water into pan. Prick duck all over with fork. Roast 1 hour, pricking occasionally with fork and turning over once.
- Mix remaining 2 T. soy sauce, the rice wine, orange juice, cranberry juice, 1/2 cup water, and the honey.
- Remove duck from oven and carefully pour off fat and water. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Pour juice mixture over duck (which should be back side up). Roast 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes and turningover once. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile steam pancakes on rack over boiling water 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice duck breast and leg meat. Remove all meat and tear into shreds.
- To serve, smear scant teaspoon hoisin sauce over center of pancake, sprinkle with scallions, and add 2 slices duck. Roll up pancake.