1/1 Photo of Lachmajou (Middle-Eastern Lamb Dish)
I made this for dinner the other night and it was delicious (although my picky other half didn't like it). The full recipe (as listed) consists of a bread-like base and then the lamb topping, but I just make the lamb part and serve it with Simple Naan / Flatbread (Plain), because I can never be bothered with anything involving yeast (lazy!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the bread
For the lamb topping
- 1For the bread:.
- 2Crumble the yeast into a bowl, sprinkle with the sugar and add 310ml (1 1/4 cups) tepid water.
- 3Leave for 10-15 minutes until the yeast begins to activate.
- 4Mix in the flour, salt and butter and mix well.
- 5Turn out onto a well floured work surface and knead well until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 6Leave in a warm place for approximately 1.5 hrs to rise.
- 7For the lamb topping:.
- 8Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and cook the onion for approximately 5 minutes until softened.
- 9Add the lamb, cinnamon and most of the parsley, and season well with salt and pepper (you'll need to season it quite a lot).
- 10Cook for approx 10 minutes until most of the moisture has evaporated, remove from the heat and stir in the tomato.
- 11Preheat your oven to 220c.
- 12Back to the bread:.
- 13Knock down the dough by punching out all of the air to bring it back to its original size.
- 14Divide into 14 balls (less if you prefer) and keep them well covered to ensure they don't dry out.
- 15On a well floured surface, roll to dough balls to approximately 1-2mm thick and 12-15cm in diameter.
- 16Arrange on a lightly floured baking try.
- 17Cover each disk of dough with just more than 1 heaped tablespoon of mixture, ensuring you leave a thin border around the edge.
- 18Drizzle approximately 1tsp of olive oil over each one and bake for 10 minutes or until the dough is cooked but has not dried out.
- 19Serve immediately sprinkled with the remaining parsley and chili flakes (to taste).
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lachmajou (Middle-Eastern Lamb Dish)
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2110.8
- Calories from Fat 754
- Total Fat 83.8 g
- Saturated Fat 33.0 g
- Cholesterol 203.8 mg
- Sodium 1464.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 255.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 77.1 g