Lablabi is a popular breakfast stew made with chickpeas, broth, tomatoes, and various toppings such as capers, cumin, harissa, coddled eggs. Lablabi is a favorite winter morning breakfast for stevedores in Tunis. Throughout the city it is a morning offering in the small hole-in-the-wall cook shops. The actual soup is very simple and it’s depth of flavor derives from the garnishes you decide to use. As a tourist you will come home wanting lablabi in the morning; that’s how seductive it is. From Clifford A. Wright.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons hot harissa
- 4 large garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin seed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon juice
- coarse sea salt
- coddled egg
- seeded and finely chopped green bell pepper
- chopped very ripe tomato
- dollops harissa
- capers, rinsed
- pickled turnip
- finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves (coriander)
- leftover bread, any kind, ripped
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Place the chickpeas in a saucepan and cover with water.
- 2Boil until soft, about 30 minutes, then stir in the harissa, garlic, cumin, and salt.
- 3Stir well, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in the lemon juice and olive oil.
- 5Serve with more lemon juice, salt, and ground cumin to taste.
- 6Serve with any combination and any amount of optional garnishes, including more harissa and olive oil.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lablabi -Chickpea Breakfast Stew(Tunisia)
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.5
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 721.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: