1/1 Photo of Laal Mass (Fiery Lamb Curry)
Wonderful recipe for Rajasthani curry from Northern India...but very neutral flavour that would appease someone who is reserved about experimenting with exotic foods. To reduce spice, remove seeds from peppers...leave them in for the full effect!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 25 -35 dried red chilies, stems removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cloves
- 5 1/2 ounces ghee or 5 1/2 ounces vegetable oil
- 9 ounces plain yogurt or 9 ounces Greek yogurt, whisked until smooth
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, roasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 leaves cinnamon or 3 cinnamon sticks or 3 bay leaves
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 5 black cardamom pods
- 2 1/2 ounces garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 9 ounces onions, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 lbs lamb or 2 1/4 lbs goat meat, chopped into large cubes
- 3 cups lamb stock or 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1Optional for extra flair of tadka (or tempering): Set aside 3-4 of dried chillies, 4-6 cloves, and 1 Tbs of ghee or oil.
- 2Soak remained in 1/2 cup of water.
- 3Mix yogurt with cumin seeds, ground coriander, chili powder, salt. Set aside.
- 4Heat rest of ghee or oil in heavy-based pan.
- 5Add remainder of cloves, cinnamon or bay, and the cardamoms.
- 6When they begin to crackle and change color, add garlic and saute for 2 minutes or until garlic is golden brown.
- 7Add onions and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly.
- 8Stir in meat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 9Drain chillies and add to pan.
- 10Cook mixture for 10-12 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and meat starts to brown.
- 11Add yogurt mixture and cook for 10-12 minutes or until liquid from yogurt has evaporated.
- 12Add stock or water and bring to a boil.
- 13Cover and reduce heat.
- 14Simmer until meat is tender and adjust seasoning to tast.
- 15Remove from heat and keep warm.
- 16Optional for tadka (or tempering): Heat up reserved ghee or oil in ladle over flame or small pan and add reserved cloves and dried red chillies. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until ghee changes color and spice flavors are released. Pour contents over curry.
- 17Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Laal Mass (Fiery Lamb Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (619 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 947.9
- Calories from Fat 620
- Total Fat 68.9 g
- Saturated Fat 36.5 g
- Cholesterol 244.5 mg
- Sodium 1338.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 45.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods
black cardamom pods