Recipe by Beansprout
This is one of my favorite Thai recipes. It can be made with ground beef, lamb or chicken. It should be eaten at room temperature, over rice, mixed with cellaphane noodles or wrapped in lettuce leaves. Because it can be served cool, it is ideal for a dinner buffet or served as appetizers, wrapped in lettuce.
Top Review by PEACOXX
I loved it. I grew up on it and although it's not quite like my mom's (probably my own error) i devoured it. I made it with 96% lean ground beef. Although i won't add tripe now, it's a great add in if you like it.
- 3 teaspoons dry white rice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (if using chicken)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced (green onions)
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves or 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- ground red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry roast the rice in a skillet until browned, then pound or process to a coarse powder and set aside.
- Brown the ground meat with the garlic- If using ground chicken, saute the garlic for a minute in oil first.
- Add shallots, scallions, mint leaves and roasted rice powder.
- Stir fry until the shallots become limp.
- Remove from heat.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Let chill slightly.
- Serve with rice, cellophane noodles or wrapped in lettuce leaves.