Recipe by Buster's friend
Wonderful fast summer or anytime meal that comes together quickly once you have your ingredients prepped. Mise en place very helpful with this dish. From Taste of Thai - thank you! Use a nice butter lettuce for this - core the head & rinse the leaves well. Dry & have plenty available - use 2 heads if they seem small - 1 per serving! I entered 12 leaves simply because the program required a number - we just keep a couple of heads available when we make this.
- 2 tablespoons jasmine rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb ground beef (ground pork may be substituted)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, divided (about 3-4 limes)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, minced fresh
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf, chopped, plus whole leaves
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 12 lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast rice in a dry skillet (no oil) over medium-high heat. Cook rice, shaking pan frequently until rice turns golden, about 8 minutes.
- While rice is toasting, combine beef, 3 tablespoons of the lime juice, Fish Sauce, shallots and ginger in a bowl.
- When rice is golden, pour on plate to cool. In same skillet over high heat, add beef mixture. Cook, breaking meat into small pieces, about 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining tablespoon of lime juice, scallions, mint, cilantro, Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce and sugar to meat. Mix well.
- Add cooled rice to spice grinder or blender, and grind into a sandy powder. Add to meat mixture and mix well.
- Spoon laab into a serving bowl lined with lettuce leaves, or serve on individual leaves for a pretty presentation. Garnish with whole mint leaves.