Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from observing the cook in a restaurant in Pattaya Beach, Thailand. I've added some optional items in case you can't get the original items where you live.
- 3 tablespoons rice, uncooked
- 1 stalk lemongrass, thick bottom part only, outer layers discarded and inner layers sliced thinly
- 3 slices fresh galangal root or 3 slices fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb boneless lean pork, cubed
- 1 teaspoon red chili, minced or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, soaked in water then drained
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons nam pla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry fry in a skillet over low heat the rice for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the rice turns brown. Remove and grind to a powder in a blender. Set aside.
- Dry fry the lemongrass, galangal, garlic and shallots in a skillet over low heat for 5-7 minutes, until fragrant and golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Grind in a blender until a fine paste.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat and stir fry the pork and lemongrass paste for 5-7 minutes, until pork is fully cooked. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked pork mixture with the other non-dressing ingredients (rice powder included) until thoroughly combined then mix with the Dressing mixture until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with raw vegetables and cooked rice, as desired.