This is supposed to be the original chopped salad recipe, created by the owner of the La Scala restaurant in Los Angeles in the 1950's. I think it sounds pretty tasty, 50 years later!
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard or 3⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 head romaine lettuce, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb italian salami, julienned
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and well-drained
- chopped tomato (optional)
- basil leaves, shredded (optional)
- To make vinaigrette: combine oil, vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste; whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuces, salami, mozzarella, and garbanzo beans. Toss with vinaigrette to taste.
- Garnish with tomato and basil if desired.