Recipe by The Great Googilymoogily
This is a Tuscan bean soup. My DW fell in love with this while in Italy and I have done my best to recreate it. She feels it's quite comparable. In Italy they use black leaf kale for this but as I couldn't obtain this I used red kale.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cannellini beans
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 leek (white part only, diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 small white potatoes (diced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 loaf stale round Italian bread (diced into cubes)
- 1⁄4 savoy cabbage (diced)
- 1⁄2 red leaf kale (diced)
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans in a pot for 24 hours in 6 cups of water.
- Soften beans by gently boiling for 1 hour (use the same water they were soaking in as this becomes the base of your stock).
- Remove beans from water (retain water) set half aside the beans as is, puree the other half in a blender.
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil. Sauté onions and leaks till they soften.
- Add carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté for about 10 minutes.
- Add bean stock, cabbage, and kale, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add bread, potatoes, the can of tomatoes, the beans(both whole and the puree) and seasonings and simmer for about 45- 60 minutes until the soup thickens and take on a uniform consistency.
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle cheese on top.