8 hrs 10 mins
Happy Hippie's Note:
I found this recipe in our local newspaper. It is an easy crock pot version the Cuban Ropa Vieja which requires several hours of simmering on the stove top. This dish is essentially a stew and will be wonderful served with a side salad, corn muffins or tortillas and rice. NOTE: Sirloin steak or chuck roast can be used instead of the skirt or flank steak called for in the ingredients list. the exact seasonings for the canned diced tomatoes doesn't matter as long as you choose a type that includes garlic. Petite diced tomatoes and no-salt added varieties also work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (bottled)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion (for about 1 cup slices)
- 2 lbs skirt steaks (or flank)
- 1 red bell pepper (for about 1 cup pieces)
- 1 green bell pepper (for about 1 cup pieces)
- 14 1/2 ounces garlic balsamic & olive oil diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked rice (for serving)
- 1Put the tomato sauce, water, bay leaves, vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt and black pepper into the crock pot. Stir to combine.
- 2Peel the onion and cut it into quarters. Thinly slice the onion quarters, and add them to the crock pot.
- 3Place the beef over the onions, and spoon some of the liquid over the meat. (If ou are using skirt steak or flank steak, there will be several thin pieces, and they will overlap in the pot.).
- 4Rinse bell peppers and discard the seeds and membranes.
- 5Cut the peppers into quarters, thinly slice them, and add the pieces to the crock pot.
- 6Pour the diced tomatoes with their juice evenly on top.
- 7Cover the pot and cook on low until the meat is so tender that it practically falls apart, about 8 hours if using skirt or flank steak or 10 hours if using sirloin or chuck.
- 8About 20 minutes before serving, cook the rice.
- 9Before serving, removed the beef and vegetables from the crock pot to a large serving bowl.
- 10Use two forks to pull the beef into shreds. There should be some cooking juices in the bowl, but if not, add about 1/2 cup juices.
- 11Stir to mix the beef and vegetables.
- 12Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- 13Serve all but two cups of the beef vegetable mixture over hot rice.
- 14Refrigerate leftovers, skim off fat and store in the refrigerator for up to to 3 days or a month in the freezer. Use the leftovers in a beefy tortilla soup.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for La Nueva Ropa Vieja (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (512 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.1
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 147.4 mg
- Sodium 602.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 52.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic balsamic & olive oil diced tomatoes