1/7 Photos of La Mexicana's Rosca De Reyes (King Cake)
3 hrs 30 mins
The Day of Kings (el Dia de Reyes), or Epiphany, is celebrated on January 6 to commemorate the day the magi arrived bearing gifts for the infant Jesus. The Day of the Kings is observed by Latin cultures with the making and eating of a rosca de reyes, a sweet yeast bread similar to Louisiana's King cake, with a hidden tiny plastic baby (or a dried bean), representing the baby Jesus, inside. If you get the slice with the "baby", you will have good luck all year. The Solo filling is generally found in the supermarket near the pie fillings. From the Texas Monthly magazine. Prep time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup Crisco, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 6 cups flour (may need up to 8 cups)
- 1 (12 ounce) can solo almond filling (Substitute Danish - Almond Filling, marzipan or the jam of your choice if you can't find the Solo Almond Filli)
- 2 dried beans (for the babies)
- colored sugar sprinkle (optional) or candied fruit (optional)
- 1Combine yeast and water in a small bowl, stirring until dissolved, and set aside until yeast is proofed.
- 2In a large mixing bowl combine the milk, sugar, and butter, stirring until dissolved.
- 3Add the salt, eggs, and yeast mixture and blend thoroughly.
- 4Beat in 3 cups of flour to make a smooth batter Add additional flour to make a soft dough (dough will be very sticky).
- 5Turn out onto a floured board and knead approximately 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed.
- 6Dough may be made with a standing mixer and dough hook.
- 7Round into a ball and place in a warm buttered bowl, turning to lightly coat top with some of the butter.
- 8Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
- 9Punch down the dough and divide in half.
- 10To prepare rings, divide dough in half and flatten into a long oval.
- 11Spread 1/2 can of Solo almond filling on each oval, place one bean into each oval, and roll each piece into a rope.
- 12Join ends together leaving large oval hole in the middle.
- 13Cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- 14While the bread is rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- 15Bake rings for 30 minutes in the preheated oven or until golden brown and sound hollow when thumped.
- 16Remove and let loaves cool on wire racks.
- 17Icing: Mix all the icing ingredients together until fluffy and well blended.
- 18To serve, frost cooled loaves with icing.
- 19Decorate with different colored sugars or candied fruit.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for La Mexicana's Rosca De Reyes (King Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (2360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3918.9
- Calories from Fat 1347
- Total Fat 149.7 g
- Saturated Fat 88.6 g
- Cholesterol 912.8 mg
- Sodium 2572.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 575.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 279.1 g
- Protein 64.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: