1/4 Photos of La Madeleine's Tomato-Basil Soup
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, cored, peeled, and chopped (8-10) or 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed
- 4 cups tomato juice (or part vegetable or part chicken stock)
- 12 -14 basil leaves, washed fresh
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 lb sweet unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- lemon juice (optional)
- 1Combine tomatoes, juice/and or stock in saucepan.
- 2Simmer 30 minutes.
- 3Puree, along with the basil leaves, in small batches, in blender, food processor (or better yet, one of those handy hand-held food blenders, right in the cooking pan). Return to saucepan and add cream and butter, while stirring, over low heat. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with your favorite bread.
- 4Excerpted from an article by Beverly Bundy of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram around May 20. 1994.
- 5She wrote, "Once a year, in January I run a column of our most requested recipes -- This year, that column included the recipe for La Madeleine's popular tomato basil soup. I continue to get at least 10 calls a week asking for the recipe. So here it is, once again -- ".
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for La Madeleine's Tomato-Basil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.2
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Sodium 344.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 2.5 g