Recipe by Bec
Serve sauce hot poured over chicken breasts or with chunks of hot cooked chicken for a light dish.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, cored seeded and cut in short thin strips
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add green and red pepper strips and sauté gently for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms; sauté over low heat until the peppers are soft. Add the flour, salt and pepper, then blend. Warm milk and pour into saucepan all at once, using a whisk to produce a smooth sauce.
- Bring sauce to a boil. Stir a little of the hot sauce into the egg yolk. Add sherry, if desired.
- Serve hot.