3 hrs 30 mins
The secret of a good daube is having every component well-browned. Delicious served hot or cold. For convenience's sake, take advantage of your slow cooker. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb salt pork
- pepper, to taste
- 5 lbs rump roast or 5 lbs boneless veal rump roast
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig parsley
- salt, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup water, boiling
- 1Make deep cuts in beef roast.
- 2Slice salt pork very thinly; rub with pepper and place into cuts.
- 3Cover meat with garlic, seasonings and chopped onion; rub in well and dredge with flour.
- 4Heat the bacon grease in a large pot or dutch oven, add sliced onion and brown.
- 5Remove onion, place meat in pot and cover with onions.
- 6Cover and cook slowly until well-browned on one side.
- 7Turn and brown the other side.
- 8Add vegetables and brown well.
- 9Add about 1/4 cup water,cover closely and simmer for three or more hours, adding more boiling water to prevent sticking.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for La Daube - Beef a La Mode
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.9
- Calories from Fat 377
- Total Fat 41.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 153.0 mg
- Sodium 311.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 48.0 g