Recipe by Sage
My good Italian friend,Emily shared this wonderful recipe with me. I love it because it so much lower in fat content compared the other recipe but still has that rich flavour.Also the answer to a crême brulé.
Directions See How It's Made
- Caramel: Pour ½ Cup granulated sugar in a medium-size, heavy-bottomed frying pan and place over Medium-High heat.
- Let sugar cook 3-5 minutes till it reaches an evenly golden brown colour stirring with a wooden spoon to remove any lumps. Do not overcook since caramel will continue browning in the oven; overcooking will give it a bitter taste.
- Once the caramel has reached the proper colour, add 1Tbsp water (may splatter) to pan to keep caramel from becoming too hard. Remove from heat and carefully cover bottom of a 2-qt mould. Tilt mould from side to side if necessary to completely cover bottom.
- When caramel has cooled, butter sides of mould. Set aside.
- Crème: Preheat oven to 350*. Beat together lightly eggs, sugar and salt. Pour over warm milk; add vanilla and stir to blend.
- Pour the mixture over caramel in mould.
- Place mould in pan containing 2 inches hot water.
- Place pan in oven; bake about 1 hour until set.
- Custard is done when knife blade inserted comes out clean.
- You can also use ramequins for individual desserts.