Recipe by Maureen in MA
This is a simple dish from the La Choy Simple Classics - Best Recipes #23 cookbook. My husband and I both enjoy it with either white or brown rice.
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 lb lean top sirloin steak, sliced across the grain into thin strips
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 (8 ounce) canla choy water chestnuts, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, mix together soy sauce and cornstarch. Add meat and toss to coat. Let meat marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a large wok (or dutch oven), brown meat quickly in 1/4 cup Peanut oil until it loses its red color. Remove from pan; set aside; and discard extra oil.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup of oil and saute ginger root and garlic over high heat. Add broccoli to pan (stirring constantly) and cook until just tender. Blend in oyster sauce, sherry, red pepper and sesame oil and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add water chestnuts and reserved meat; mix so that everything is blended.
- Serve immediately.