Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Cooking Light! Yummy,easy!!
- 1 (5 1/4 ounce) can whole green chilies, drained
- cooking spray
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut green chiles in half lengthwise.
- Arrange chiles in a single layer in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, stirring to crumble.
- Add diced tomatoes; cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Spoon turkey mixture over chiles.
- Top with corn.
- Carefully spread beans over corn.
- Sprinkle cheese over beans.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes; top with chopped tomato and green onions.
- Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups).
This is a favorite in our family--and a nice healthy one. The only changes I make are to omit the whole green chilies & the refried beans. I also use the diced tomatoes with MILD green chilies (the others are a bit spicy for my kids). I've doubled the recipe & baked in a 9x13 casserole for a family gathering & it was well received there also. It's a nice recipe that uses ground turkey that seems like it belongs there & wasn't substituted for ground beef. Sour cream is a nice addition for garnishing.
This has been a family favorite in my house since the recipe was first listed in Cooking Light years ago. It is hearty and flavorful, but still relatively healthy, and not very spicy for those who like milder flavors.
Great recipe! Saw this when it first came out in Cooking Light and have made it several times. More substantial than other "healthy" food, servings are generous and casserole is very filling. Used lowfat shredded cheese, otherwsie as stated. Thanks for sharing the recipe!