Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Source: Lucy Buffett (Jimmy Buffett's sister; her restaurant is located in Gulf Shores, AL) I have made this many times and I always get compliments. This is a great dish to bring to a party because it doesn't have to be cooked or served warm and it's vegetarian. The hardest part is preparing the vegetables.
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar; cover tightly, and shake vigourously to dissolve sugar. Set aside. (sometimes I do this, sometimes I'm lazy)
- In a large bowl combine peas, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes. Pour dressing over top and toss well.
- Refrigerate for at least 2hr before serving.
- Serve with chips (I recommend Tostito's scoops), saltines, or I've even seen people eat this with a spoon.
- NOTE: You don't have to use all the different bell peppers. This is just for color appeal. Also, you don't have to use cherry tomatoes. You can use grape tomatoes or if you're feeling really lazy, just dice a regular tomato. There's really no wrong way to make this.