Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I made this up from 3 separate recipes in response to my DSF praising our Club's chili recipe. He voted it better after one bite. It's even better the next day.
- 4 lbs coarse ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 24 ounces dark beer
- 8 ounces water
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 jalapeno chiles, minced
- Saute onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil in large pot. Add ground sirloin and brown.
- Add tomato paste and stir in, browning slightly. Add beer and water and stir to combine and deglaze the tomato paste.
- Add spices, tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapeno pepper, and bay leaf.
- Simmer until flavors blend. Add beans and heat through.