1/1 Photo of Kylie's Chicken Fried Rice
Mrs Goodall's Note:
I am so thrilled to find a great fried rice recipe that includes more than soy in the sauce. This is from a fabulous cookbook called Kylie Kwong, Simple Chinese Cooking. Easy and tasty, like most stir fry recipes the cooking time is minimal, it's all the chopping that takes the time. Left overs were fantastic. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 red onion, small, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, finely diced
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs, finely sliced (a bit more or less chicken works fine)
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (or shao hsing wine)
- 4 cups steamed rice (I used 3 cups and it worked fine)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2/3 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (sprigs or chopped)
- 1/4 cup green onion (for optional garnish) (optional)
- 1Heat half the oil in a hot wok (or other appropriate pan), until surface seems to shimmer slightly.
- 2Pour beaten eggs into wok and leave to cook on the base of the wok for 10 seconds before folding egg mixture over onto itself with a spatula and lightly scrambling for about 1 minute or until almost cooked through.
- 3Carefully remove omelette from wok with a spatula and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- 4Heat remaining oil in the hot wok and stir-fry onion and ginger for 30 seconds.
- 5Add chicken and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- 6Stir in sugar and cook, stirring, for 20 seconds.
- 7Add sherry (or wine) and stir-fry for a further 20 seconds. Toss in reserved omelette along with remaining ingredients, except cilantro and garnish.
- 8Stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for about 2 minutes or until will combined and rice is heated through.
- 9Remove from heat and toss rice with cilantro.
- 10Transfer rice to a bowl, garnish with green onions and serve.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kylie's Chicken Fried Rice
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 738.3
- Calories from Fat 371
- Total Fat 41.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 306.8 mg
- Sodium 661.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 32.1 g