Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Australian chef Kylie Kwong's hit TV show...
- 1 1⁄2 kg free-range chicken
- 1⁄2 bunch tarragon
- 4 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
- 100 g unsalted butter, sliced
- 1 whole garlic head
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 6 medium kipfler potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 5 small golden shallots, unpeeled but cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch cracked white pepper
- sourdough bread, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C (450°F).
- Rinse chicken under cold water.
- Trim away excess fat from inside and outside cavity, but keep neck, parson's nose and winglets intact.
- Tuck wing tips under chicken.
- Place chicken in roasting tin, breast-side up.
- Place tarragon and half the rosemary inside the chicken cavity.
- Using your hands, carefully separate the skin from the meat over the breast and thighs of the chicken.
- Place the butter between the skin and the meat, spreading it evenly under the skin.
- Lightly crush unpeeled garlic cloves and scatter over chicken with bay leaves, salt and remaining rosemary.
- Place carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes and shallots around chicken, then drizzle with oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover roasting dish with foil and roast for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lower the temperature to 180°C (350°F).
- Take off foil and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- To test chicken, insert a skewer into the thigh and press against the meat- it is cooked when the juices run clear.
- The skin should be crisp and lightly browned.
- Remove chicken from oven, cover with foil and leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from tin and serve with the roast vegetables and some crusty sourdough bread.