Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
Not your standard bar cookie as this one has an oatmeal layer in which you sandwich a raisin filling. Recipe comes from a Pillsbury Bake-Off Cookbook from the 1980's.
- 2 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- FILLING: In a medium saucepan, bring raisins and water to a boil and simmer 15 minutes; drain.
- Stir in applesauce, lemon juice, and cinnamon; set aside.
- BAR: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, sugar, and coconut; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Press 2 1/2 cups crumbs into bottom of ungreased 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Spread raisin filling evenly over bar mixture.
- Sprinkle with nuts, if desired.
- Sprinkle evenly with remaining crumb mixture; press down lightly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or till light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
THANK YOU, CARYN for thinking to share this recipe with us! Yummy bars and with very basic ingredients...I awakened at 4:30a recently and instead of struggling to go back to sleep I made these. The house smelled so great my DH got up and joined me. It was a great way to start the day! I made 2 minor adaptations: I reduced the oatmeal by 1/2 cup and added oat bran cereal. Also, I was worried about not having enough topping after I pressed the bar into the pan so I added some Rice Crispies to the remaining sprinkled crumb mixture. These bars are a delicious and easy treat for oatmeal and raisin lovers!!