Top Review by umisa
This has been a regular in my house for quite some time mashaAllaah. DH LOVES this!!! I'm making it right now, but this time I added about a teaspoon of your iraqi curry powder (#442889) along with the other spices. It smells a-maz-ing! I can't wait until dinner!
- 3 lbs chicken, skinned and jointed (I use chicken breasts a lot instead just cut each in half and cook for less time)
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baharat mixed spice (May use Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (or ghee)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 stick cinnamon bark
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I use canned pureed tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 dried limes (loomi, or 1 1/2 tsp ground loomi but I find whole is better, don't leave this out please)
- 1 cup frozen okra (bamia, fried in a little oil) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and wipe chicken pieces dry and sprinkle with salt.
- Combine baharat and turmeric and rub half onto chicken pieces. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil and brown chicken pieces on each side. Remove to plate.
- Add onion and fry gently until transparent.
- Add garlic, ginger, remaining spice mixture, and cinnamon bark to the onion and fry for 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add tomato sauce, water, salt to taste, and loomi pierced twice with a skewer or loomi powder. Bring to a high simmer.
- Add chicken pieces and okra if using, reduce heat to low and simmer very gently for 1 1/2 hours until chicken is tender and sauce is thick.
- Serve hot with Recipe #79179 or other basmati rice dish and salad.