1/2 Photos of Kuwaiti Curried Chicken (Quwarmah Ala Dajaj)
2 hrs 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken, skinned and jointed (I use chicken breasts a lot instead just cut each in half and cook for less time)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baharat mixed spice (May use Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or ghee)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 stick cinnamon bark
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I use canned pureed tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 dried limes (loomi, or 1 1/2 tsp ground loomi but I find whole is better, don't leave this out please)
- 1 cup frozen okra (bamia, fried in a little oil) (optional)
- 1Rinse and wipe chicken pieces dry and sprinkle with salt.
- 2Combine baharat and turmeric and rub half onto chicken pieces. Leave for 15 minutes.
- 3Heat olive oil and brown chicken pieces on each side. Remove to plate.
- 4Add onion and fry gently until transparent.
- 5Add garlic, ginger, remaining spice mixture, and cinnamon bark to the onion and fry for 5 minutes stirring often.
- 6Add tomato sauce, water, salt to taste, and loomi pierced twice with a skewer or loomi powder. Bring to a high simmer.
- 7Add chicken pieces and okra if using, reduce heat to low and simmer very gently for 1 1/2 hours until chicken is tender and sauce is thick.
- 8Serve hot with Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix or other basmati rice dish and salad.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kuwaiti Curried Chicken (Quwarmah Ala Dajaj)
Serving Size: 1 (564 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 900.0
- Calories from Fat 584
- Total Fat 64.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 255.1 mg
- Sodium 563.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 65.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: