1/2 Photos of Kuwaiti Curried Chicken (Quwarmah Ala Dajaj)
2 hrs 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken, skinned and jointed (I use chicken breasts a lot instead just cut each in half and cook for less time)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baharat mixed spice (May use Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or ghee)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 stick cinnamon bark
- 1 cup tomato sauce (I use canned pureed tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 dried limes (loomi, or 1 1/2 tsp ground loomi but I find whole is better, don't leave this out please)
- 1 cup frozen okra (bamia, fried in a little oil) (optional)
- 1Rinse and wipe chicken pieces dry and sprinkle with salt.
- 2Combine baharat and turmeric and rub half onto chicken pieces. Leave for 15 minutes.
- 3Heat olive oil and brown chicken pieces on each side. Remove to plate.
- 4Add onion and fry gently until transparent.
- 5Add garlic, ginger, remaining spice mixture, and cinnamon bark to the onion and fry for 5 minutes stirring often.
- 6Add tomato sauce, water, salt to taste, and loomi pierced twice with a skewer or loomi powder. Bring to a high simmer.
- 7Add chicken pieces and okra if using, reduce heat to low and simmer very gently for 1 1/2 hours until chicken is tender and sauce is thick.
- 8Serve hot with Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix or other basmati rice dish and salad.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kuwaiti Curried Chicken (Quwarmah Ala Dajaj)
Serving Size: 1 (564 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 900.0
- Calories from Fat 584
- Total Fat 64.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 255.1 mg
- Sodium 563.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 65.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: